Sunday, August 8, 2010

With Apologies to Dietrich Bonhoeffer

First, they came for the coal miners, but I wasn’t a coal miner, so I didn’t speak out. Then they came for the bankers, but I was not a banker, so I didn’t speak out. Then they came for the car dealers, but I wasn’t a car dealer, so I didn’t speak out. Then they came for the auto companies, but I had nothing to do with the auto companies, so I didn’t speak out. Then they came for the insurance companies, but I wasn’t in the insurance business, so I didn’t speak out. Then they came for the medical professionals, but I’m not a medical professional, so I didn’t speak out. Then they came for my grandchildren’s money, but I don’t have grandchildren, so I didn’t speak out.

Then they came for the very air I breathe.

Without air, how can I speak?

No comments:

Post a Comment